Wednesday 22 February 2023

UK Wildlife Sightings February 2023

 After a fortnight's break due to holidays (see a later post) I was back on the road on the 15th, visiting the East Norfolk coast. My first stop was at Sheringham, where I photographed Purple Sandpipers on the shoreline rocks and groynes. I also saw my first (Red-throated) diver of the year here, but missed out on Black Redstart and Eastern Lesser Whitethroat, despite standing by the latter's favourite cherry tree for over an hour. I then moved on to Cley NWT, where I had good views of the wintering Long-billed Dowitcher. I had planned to move on to Blakeney to look for Twite, but tiredness caused partly by jet-lag forced me to cut short my visit, after enjoying some close views of waders and Teal on Pat's Pool.


Purple Sandpiper, Sheringham, 15 February


Long-billed Dowitcher, Cley NWT, 15 February


Male Teal, Cley NWT, 15 February

A first visit to RSPB Rainham Marshes for some time, as part of an organised RSPB Local Group 'own transport' trip on the 19th, produced a trip list of 65 species (62 seen) on a glorious, spring-like day. A wintering Ruff was the only addition to my year list, although I did see an over-flying Rock or Water Pipit, but was unable to identify down to species level. Others managed to photograph this or other 'Non-Meadow' pipits, but at the time of writing it is not clear which species is/are represented! At least two wintering Chiffchaffs (one singing) were present in the woodland area of the reserve.


Chiffchaff, RSPB Rainham Marshes, 19 February

A report of five Bewick's Swans (four adults and a juvenile) at Hockwold Washes (adjacent to RSPB Lakenheath Fen reserve) encouraged me to visit Lakenheath Fen on the afternoon of the 21st. What I found were five Whooper Swans (four adults and a juvenile) - a bird that is already on my 2023 year list. Nevertheless, I enjoyed a pleasant few hours in the area in sunny weather, photographing Reed Buntings and Oystercatchers and getting great views of a Barn Owl.


Three Oystercatchers in Flight, RSPB Lakenheath Fen, 21 February


Female Reed Bunting, RSPB Lakenheath Fen, 21 February

On the 26th I went with my partner to Great Yarmouth. This was my first visit since before Covid-19, and I was pleased to see that a few wintering Mediterranean Gulls were still using the beach here, between the two piers, as they have done for at least 15 years. Also present on the beach was a flock of 23 Ringed Plovers and a single Dunlin. Great Yarmouth is a great place to visit for photographers interested in landscapes, street photography and 'decay and dereliction', the last of which kept my partner happy whilst I was bird watching.


Mediterranean Gull (First Winter), Great Yarmouth Beach


Ringed Plovers in Flight, Great Yarmouth








No comments:

Post a Comment