Tuesday 15 August 2023

UK Wildlife Sightings August 2023

 A report of a Lesser Yellowlegs at WWT Welney on 31 July encouraged me to visit the reserve (an hour away from home) on the 1st, but the bird, if it had been there at all, was nowhere to be found, although I did see a Spotted Redshank. I later moved up to RSPB Titchwell to do some photography of my favourite bird (Sanderling) at (just about) my favourite reserve. Sanderlings can be seen at Titchwell just about all year round, missing just a few weeks in June and July before returning (many in breeding plumage) from their breeding grounds. Other returning waders included Turnstones, Dunlin and a few Bar-tailed Godwits. In addition to photography on the beach, I enjoyed the antics of a family of Little Grebes on one of the pools, as the adults tried to feed little morsels to their tiny, fluffy youngsters.


Little Grebes, RSPB Titchwell Marsh, 1 August


Sanderling and a lone Dunlin in Flight, RSPB Titchwell Marsh, 1 August

On the 8th I visited RSPB Fen Drayton to see the long-staying Glossy Ibis - the first addition to my 2023 UK list (no. 206) for a fortnight. The following day I visited RSPB Rye Meads reserve, hoping to see the Garganey that had been reported there. I failed in this respect, but did get great views of Little Grebe, Green and Common Sandpipers from the Draper Hide whilst I was there.


Green Sandpiper (one of at least six), RSPB Rye Meads, 9 August


Little Grebe, RSPB Rye Meads, 9 August

As part of one of my many photographic projects I needed some good images of Common and Ruddy Darter dragonflies. A trip to Paxton Pits NNR (Cambridgeshire) on the 11th did not disappoint - at one particular spot I found 20-25 darters flying around, catching tiny insects and posing for me. An additional bonus was to find a rare Musk Beetle, one of the largest beetles in the UK, sitting on top of an umbellifer. I'm not sure whether I've seen one of these beasts before: I had to look it up to confirm its identity.


Two Common Darters, Paxton Pits, 11 August


Musk Beetle (about 35mm long), Paxton Pits, 11 August

On the 13th my partner and I walked part of the coastal path between Snettisham and Heacham and, as in the previous two years, we were lucky to see Turtle Doves at one of their few remaining 'strongholds'. The tide was coming in and hundreds of waders (again, mainly Sanderling) were seen along the tide-line.


Turtle Dove, Snettisham Coastal Park, 13 August

On the 16th I made another of my annual trips, this one to Aston Rowant NNR to see Silver-spotted Skipper butterflies (a species that does not occur in Hertfordshire). The butterflies were late appearing this year, likely because of the poor July weather, but I saw several individuals on my visit. Other insect and plant species on this unimproved grassland are very similar to those that I see on Therfield Heath, begging the question as to whether Silver-spotted Skippers would survive if introduced here....


Silver-spotted Skipper, Aston Rowant NNR, 16 August

News of a Kentish Plover at RSPB Frampton Marsh on the 17th encouraged me to visit the reserve the following day. Of course, the plover had gone (and was not seen again) by the time I arrived, although the local juvenile Little Ringed Plovers gave a close imitation. Several other wading birds were seen here, although I needed a little help from an expert to pick out the single Curlew and Wood Sandpipers that were present on the reserve. Five Black-winged Stilts (two juveniles) and lots of Spoonbills were also seen. A single UK-breeding 'Limosa' Black-tailed Godwit was also present, along with hundreds of European birds.


Black-tailed Godwit (Ringed 'Limosa' ssp), Frampton, 18 August

Nature watching took a back seat for the remainder of the month, as less hedonistic pursuits intervened, but I did manage a trip to RSPB Titchwell Marsh on the 25th. I had hoped to see the American Golden Plover there, but as my usual luck would have it, a bird that had been present for the previous three days (and would turn up again on the following day) was nowhere to be seen. Nevertheless, I went down to the beach and walked towards Thornham Point. At first there was little of interest but then terns (mainly Common, but also a few Little and Sandwich) started to pass me, heading west towards The Point. By the time I arrived at Thornham Point several hundred had passed, with many juvenile Common Terns indicating that this species had had a successful breeding season. An Arctic Skua was seen chasing terns at one point, whilst several hundred terns were resting on sandbanks at The Point. I took several photos, including some of the resting terns, and headed back to the car. On returning home I was somewhat annoyed to see that a Caspian Tern had been observed flying over The Freshmarsh shortly after I had left. However, when I looked through my images of the resting terns, there it was - on a sandbank! Although I had failed to identify it at the time I obviously did see it, so it goes on to my year list - the second time that I have seen a Caspian Tern in the UK.


Little Terns in Flight, Titchwell Beach, 25 August


Juvenile Common Tern in Flight, Titchwell Beach, 25 August


"Record Shot" of a Caspian Tern (left of centre, behind three other terns), Thornham Point, 25 August












No comments:

Post a Comment