Monday 11 March 2024

UK Wildlife Sightings, March 2024

 I returned to the Staines Reservoirs on the 6th, hoping to see the reported Slavonian Grebe, as well as (a) Water Pipit(s). I found the grebe easily enough, as it showed quite well on the south basin, close to at least three Black-necked Grebes that were moulting into their summer plumage. However, I could only find Meadow Pipits along the causeway that separates the north and south basins. Black-throated and Great Northern Divers showed intermittently and distantly on the north basin. I've enjoyed my visits to these reservoirs this winter and have some decent photos to show for it, although travelling on the M25, particularly the clockwise section between junctions 14 and 16, is invariably a nightmare.


Two Black-necked Grebes, Staines Reservoirs (South Basin), 6 March


Slavonian Grebe, Staines Reservoirs (South Basin), 6 March

I visited the Hawk and Owl Trust's reserve at Sculthorpe Moor (Norfolk) on the 8th, as a reconnaissance visit for an RSPB trip that I would be co-leading. Thankfully, the flood waters had receded and most of the reserve was accessible although the 'wet woodland' looked more like a swamp and any attempt to leave the boardwalk would have likely led to drowning! Nothing special was seen, although good numbers of Siskins, Marsh Tits and Bramblings were on the reserve. A Rustic Bunting had been found nearby, at the village of Helhoughton, but it was not showing during brief visits that I made either side of my visit to Sculthorpe. However, I had more success second time around with finding the Great Grey Shrike at Weeting. The bird showed distantly but well (telescope views) and was seen to catch and consume two large beetles during my stay.


Poor 'Record Shot' of a Distant Great Grey Shrike, Weeting, 8 March


Male Siskin, Sculthorpe Moor NR, 8 March

The following week I spent a couple of days in Yorkshire. There were various reasons for going, including visiting old school friends (I was born and brought up in Yorkshire), but of course I managed to do some bird watching there. On the 12th I drove right up the beautiful Nidd Valley (unfairly overlooked in favour of more 'popular' Yorkshire Dales) and on to the moors above Leighton Reservoir, where I encountered Red Grouse, Curlews, Oystercatchers and lots of 'proper' Greylag Geese. On the way back I stopped off at Gouthwaite Reservoir, where a large flock of 94 Whooper Swans were hanging out. A Barn Owl was seen both on the way (at the side of the road) and on returning.


Whooper Swans, Gouthwaite Reservoir, North Yorkshire, 12 March

On the following day I visited the Yorkshire coast, visiting Filey (where I walked out onto The Brigg at low tide) and RSPB Bempton Cliffs. Birds seen at Filey included Purple Sandpiper, Common Scoter and Shag, whilst hundreds of Gannets, Razorbills and Guillemots were already occupying nesting locations on the cliffs. A local also pointed out to me a couple of surprisingly early Puffins on the cliffs, a few minutes after I had, in my 'wisdom', told a couple of ladies that it was too early in the year to see Puffins here - oh dear!


Bar-tailed Godwit, Filey Brigg, 13 March



Gannet in Flight, RSPB Bempton Cliffs, 13 March


Two Puffins, RSPB Bempton Cliffs, 13 March


Razorbill, RSPB Bempton Cliffs, 13 March

I was back at Sculthorpe Moor on the morning of the 17th, leading the RSPB Local Group round the reserve in pouring rain. Fortunately, all the key species (Brambling, Marsh Tit, Bullfinch, Siskin etc.) put in an appearance, before we went off for an afternoon at Sandringham Park, which I had never visited before.


Roe Deer, Sculthorpe Moor, 17 March

On the 20th I visited Cley NWT, with my main target species being the Long-billed Dowitcher, a vagrant American wader which had turned up there again. I duly saw the dowitcher, as well as my first Wheatear of the year. A bigger surprise was to see three Spoonbills on Pat's Pool (where the dowitcher was seen) actually feeding and interacting before flying off (normally they just seem to sleep during the day). On the way I stopped again at Helhoughton, this time not to see the Rustic Bunting (which, although still present, was virtually impossible to find) but to look for Mealy Redpolls and an Arctic Redpoll, which occasionally flew up into some birches on the far side of a set-aside field. Even through the telescope, the birds looked quite small. However, I definitely saw at least three Mealy Redpolls although the Arctic Redpoll proved elusive.


Long-billed Dowitcher, Cley NWT, 20 March


Two Spoonbills, Cley NWT, 20 March

 I visited RSPB Lakenheath Fen in Suffolk, which is less than an hour's drive away from Royston, on the 25th. My target birds were Garganey (up to six had been reorted there in recent days) and Water Pipit. I was lucky with the former, seeing all six birds (including four beautiful males), but the Water Pipits appeared to have left. Common Cranes had been regularly seen in flight (they have bred here in previous years), but there was no sign of them on this occasion.


Male Garganey (on the right) with Tufted Duck, Hockwold Washes, RSPB Lakenheath Fen, 25 March








No comments:

Post a Comment