Wednesday, 5 August 2026

UK Wildlife Sightings August 2026

 Hyde Hall Gardens (RHS) in Essex incorporate a number of ponds, which are good for dragonflies. On a visit with my partner and her brother I saw several species and was able to photograph (for the first time) mating Small Red-eyed Damselflies. Willow Emerald Damselflies seemed to be appearing everywhere in early August, and several were seen here.


Small Red-eyed Damselflies Mating, Hyde Hall RHS, Essex, 2 August


Willow Emerald Damselfly, Hyde Hall RHS, 2 August

My attention in August slowly turned back to birds and, on yet another hot and humid day on the 4th, I drove up to the North Norfolk coast, arriving at RSPB Snettisham just in time to catch the high tide. Although this was not a particularly high tide, the water was covering the mud flats. Many waders roosted briefly on the southernmost lake before flying back on to the mud. It was fascinating to see huge groups of hundreds of each species (Bar-tailed Godwits, Oystercatchers, Knots, Dunlins and Redshanks) occupying separate areas on the mud or on the lake. Somewhere in amongst them was a White-rumped Sandpiper, but I failed to connect with this bird. Several terns were also roosting on the mud - these included a handful of Little Terns. Hundreds of Sanderlings were back from their Arctic breeding grounds and I saw a flock of perhaps 400, some in summer plumage but most in various stages of moult, on my way back north along the coastal path. Back at the Snettisham Coastal Park I finally caught up with my first Turtle Dove of the year. Since 2023 I have relied on the Snettisham area for my sightings of this now very rare species. Apparently, numbers of migratory Turtle Doves are very slowly increasing in England following a moratorium on shooting in some European countries, but I think that it will be a long time (if at all) before they become regular again in the Hertfordshire area.


Some of the 400+ Sanderlings seen at RSPB Snettisham on 4 August


Terns (and a few gulls) on The Wash, Snettisham, 4 August. A Little Tern can just about be seen at the back, left of centre.


Turtle Dove, Snettisham Coastal Park, 4 August



Unlike these waders, I moved on to RSPB Titchwell. The reserve was quiet, but I did see my first Curlew Sandpiper of the year (a moulting adult) on the Freshmarsh. A single Spoonbill was also seen here.


Moulting adult Curlew Sandpiper (front row, 3rd from right) with Dunlin, Lapwing and Gulls, RSPB Titchwell Marsh, 4 August

There had been a noticeable change in dragonfly populations when I made a return visit to Paxton Pits. The Ruddy Darters that I saw on my first visit had been largely replaced by Common Darters, and many more Willow Emerald damselflies were on the wing. The darters seemed to prefer perching on man-made objects (particularly barbed wire) to the more natural objects (e.g. twigs, berries etc.) that would have made for better photographs. Still, you can't have everything.


Common Darter Dragonfly, Paxton Pits, 7 August


Willow Emerald Damselfly, Paxton Pits, 7 August

Not all my trips end in success, but I can rarely have been on a more frustrating visit than the one to Wilstone on the 11th. I had hoped to see Water Rail, Greenshank and Black-tailed Godwit (all seen on the 10th) at the reservoir, before moving on to the Grand Union Canal to photograph damselflies and dragonflies. However, as I drove up the slip road to join the M25 the traffic ground to a halt and was stationary for half an hour. After that, we started inching forward, with frequent stops. The cause of the delay (which added two hours to my journey time) was, apparently, a vehicle fire. At Wilstone Reservoir I could not find any of my target birds and only a handful of damselflies were seen on the canal. Migrant Hawker dragonflies were the dominant species here and I ended up trying to photograph one or two in flight. My best effort is shown below: to see some top quality images of dragonflies in flight I can recommend the Herts. and Middlesex dragonflies Facebook page - truly excellent photos by Allan Burrows et. al. Anyway, I at least made it home in one piece.......


Migrant Hawker Dragonfly in Flight, Grand Union Canal, Wilstone, 11 August


Anglesey, 15-22 August

I spent a week on the island of Anglesey, North Wales, with my partner and her brother, in August. It was a general interest holiday, with walking along various parts of the island's beautiful coastline, visits to castles on the mainland, etc. We arrived too late in the summer to appreciate Anglesey's impressive seabird colonies - indeed, I didn't see a single Puffin, Guillemot, Razorbill, Kittiwake or Fulmar on the trip. My main target species were Chough, which I saw on the South Stack RSPB reserve, and Manx Shearwater, which I saw on an evening walk along the east coast near the town of Moelfre. Small numbers of Black Guillemots breed along this coastline but, in common with the other auks, they remained undetected. I was, however, a little surprised to see a small group of juvenile Eider Ducks here - do they nest on Anglesey?


Three Choughs in Flight, RSPB South Stack Reserve, Anglesey, 16 August


Juvenile Eider Ducks, Moelfre, Anglesey, 20 August

One of the locals told me that Ospreys were breeding on Anglesey for the first time, and this was later confirmed in a news report, but we didn't go out of our way to look for the nest site. Several common wader species were seen around the island, including a flock of around 70 Ringed Plovers, seen and photographed at the end of the 1.5 mile (!) breakwater at Holyhead. We made a number of trips to the mainland, including a visit to Bodnant Gardens, where I photographed a very obliging Dipper.


Ringed Plovers in Flight, Holyhead, 16 August


Dipper at Bodnant Gardens, North Wales, 17 August

The weather was cooler than we had become used to at home, with cloudy days in the first half of the holiday and sunshine and showers during the second half. Insect life was quite restricted - indeed, I can only remember seeing one unidentified (darter) dragonfly during the whole week. Butterflies were more numerous and I did have my first confirmed sighting of the year of Grayling butterflies whilst negotiating the rocky and rather precipitous coastal path at South Stack.

Back in England, waders were on the move and I visited Eyebrook Reservoir (Leicestershire / Rutland) on the 24th to see a juvenile Red-necked Phalarope, a tiny wader which feeds by swimming vigorously around in lakes and other water bodies, picking small insects off the surface of the water. I needed my telescope to get good views of this bird, even though it was perhaps only 150 metres away, and my images (one of which I have rather reluctantly included below) are rather poor. Red-necked Phalaropes breed in small numbers on the Shetland Islands, but this bird more likely came from Iceland or Scandinavia.


Poor Record Shot of Juvenile Red-necked Phalarope (with two ducks), Eyebrook Reservoir, 24 August













No comments:

Post a Comment