Wednesday, 7 October 2026

Local Wildlife Sightings, October 2026

 The warm, dry, settled weather from September extended into the first week of October, with daytime temperatures reaching 24C on a couple of occasions. The latest 'drought' of over three weeks was finally broken on the 7th, when a day of rain at least allowed me time to update my blog! By the start of the month Small and Large Whites appeared to be the only butterfly species left on the wing. A few faded Common Darter and Migrant Hawker dragonflies were seen during my occasional local forays. Ivy, still flowering in shady areas, continued to attract Ivy Bees together with Honey Bees and a few hoverflies. I was interested to see both a Hornet Hoverfly, and then a genuine Hornet, flying around the same bushes near the house.


Ivy Bee on Ivy, Royston, 5 October

With nearly all the summer visitors having departed (except for a few Chiffchaffs) and autumn visitors yet to arrive, all was quiet locally on the bird watching front. A few Little Grebes and a single Tufted Duck were on Phillup's Lake when I visited on the 1st.


Female Tufted Duck, Phillup's Lake, Reed End, 1 October

I usually see Garganey in the spring, soon after they have arrived from their African wintering grounds. However, I missed out this year so reports of a young male bird at Wilstone Reservoir (Tring) encouraged me to make another visit on the 6th. Having earlier reminded myself of the differences between Garganey and the very similar (and similarly sized) Teal in 'eclipse' plumage, I was able to identify the bird (a juvenile male) fairly quickly as it swam around, showing well. The two images below (deliberately high key) illustrate the key features that distinguish Garganey from Teal, namely the longer, straighter bill, pale loral patch at the base of the bill, emerging stripe above the eye, pale, whitish chin and throat patch and the lack of a pale patch at the side of the tail. Some emerging feathers on the back (not clear in these images) were suggestive of this being a male bird. For comparison, I've included an image of a female Teal below, taken at the same time.


Juvenile Male Garganey, Wilstone Reservoir, 6 October


Juvenile Male Garganey, Wilstone Reservoir, 6 October


Female Teal, Wilstone Reservoir, 6 October

Also seen at Wilstone were an unusually pale Common Pochard, at least four Pintails and two Roe Deer (image of one below). An interesting observation was that a couple of Teal were seen diving in shallower water, even though this is known as a dabbling duck. The Ferruginous Duck that I had seen on my last trip to Wilstone was reported again, but I didn't see it on this visit.


Roe Deer (Seen from the Hide), Wilstone Reservoir, 6 October








No comments:

Post a Comment